Thursday, October 16, 2008

a little anecdote

Hey there!

I wanna tell you a little story that happend to me in Córdoba and I knew it had to happen at some point at my stay here in Argentina! Last weekend I went with a group of 10 people to Córdoba (a city in the interior of Argentina) to spend there the long weekend (we had a holiday this monday). The hostel offered some expeditions and activities, so we chose to take part in a trip to a national park combined with a little hiking experience. So I went to the hostel guy to pay the trip and gave him the money. Ten minutes later he came back to me and was telling me, that I would have to give him another bank note because he thinks that this 50-pesos bank note (about 13 Euro) is a false banknote! Everybody warned me in this country to be careful with false money and rather to check twice to see if the money banknote is real and not fake. And in every supermarktet they check every 100 Pesos banknote (about 25 Euro) doble, sometimes even 20 Pesos bank notes. Well, anyway, back to the story. First, I didn't know what to say! I was shocked! But the hostel guy was really nice and explained me why he thought the bill was false: The bank note was about 5 millimeters smaller than a real one and also it felt more like real paper than a real bank note. So he gave me back my false banknote. I thought: "Now, what am I supposed to do with it?? Who the f*** will accept my false banknote?" I decided to go to a supermarket around the corner which was full of people. I thought, if the staff of the supermarket was busy they maybe wouldn't check the note... I stand in line, in front of the cassier I tend to check the note and looked at her with a content face and gave her the note. She didn't check again and I was happy to get rid of my false bank note (even though is was "only" about 25 Euro). But you know what? Know I keep on thinking about who could have been the person that gave me the false note? Maybe that person didn't realize it either, who knows...
End of the story - from now on I will always check my bank notes!

1 comment:

Simone said...

Hola Dani,

tuviste mucha suerte con el billete. Pero quizás vuelva algun día ;)
Por eso ten cuidado para no intentar de nuevo pagar con billetes falsos.