Friday, October 24, 2008

anecdote number 3

Unfortunately this anecdote is less funny than the other one. It's the contrary! I'm really angry! But this is also part of Argentinian "culture", it's about how Argentinians treat people in a restaurant, if they KNOW or they can TELL that you're a stranger, so I'm gonna tell you. I must admit that today it was the first time it happened to me but I heard from some other people that happened to them, too, sometimes, so it can't be such a coincidence. Today, Teo (a friend from South Corea), Dani (a friend from Germany) and me went to a Chinese Restaurant. It was a "all you can eat"- deal for about 30 Pesos (so about 6 Euro each person, so very cheap). After eating we asked for the bill and we were supposed to pay 100 Pesos en total. What happened? The waiter came with the bill and suddenly on the bill was 120 Pesos. In Germany I would probably think it was a real mistake. But my experience here in Argentina tells me that it's probably not a "mistake" but more likely a "trying to get a lot of money from the stupid stranger/tourist that will not realize paying a little 20-pesos more" - thing. We told the waiter, of course he said something like "oh, I'm sorry, I don't know how this could have happened". Conclusion: We left the restaurant paying the real bill of 100 Pesos and didn't leave any tip. Hopefully they will learn out of this. I don't think so though. :-(

1 comment:

Simone said...

A mí me pasó lo mismo en los autobuses chilenos: cuando los chilenos notaban que soy gringa siempre me cobraban más que a los chilenos... Tienes que enfadarte con ellos y de repente de tratan de una manera muy amable ;)